INTRODUCING THE ZACC ARTIST AND PERFORMER RELIEF FUND!
When we built the new ZACC downtown, one of our primary goals was to support local artists and performers. We built the ZACC Show Room and our new galleries to give Missoula-based artists more chances to thrive, and we're proud that in just our first few months of being downtown, we paid out nearly $10,000 in artist commissions and performer fees. Unfortunately, this support came to a halt in March when we saw a slew of cancellations and had to close our doors due to Covid-19. It may be a long while before we are able to have crowded audiences and art shows again, and that not only impacts our income, it impacts the opportunities we can offer to our local arts community. But we won't let anything stop our mission, not even a pandemic. We know our community still needs support, and thanks to a $5,000 grant from United Way of Missoula County the ZACC has started an Artist & Performer Relief Fund. $5,000 is a great starting point, and if we can keep this fund growing, we can give more!
Here's how it works: artists, performers, or art scene contributors can apply (it's easy!) and if they meet the criteria they will be added to our list. Every Friday we will randomly select two artists/performers from the list and they will each be awarded a $250 grant and information about their art will be featured on the ZACC’s Instagram, website, and Facebook page.
CRITERIA FOR APPLICATION
1) Artists and performers must have participated in the ZACC’s programs in some way in the last 12 years. This could include performing on the ZACC’s new stage or old stages, being in any ZACC art show, teaching a class, selling in our shop, renting a studio, or using the ZACC in any way as an artist. This extends to comedians, actors, writers, musicians, visual artists, performers, dancers, culinary artists, etc. BASICALLY ALL ARTISTS. If you think you might be an artist, the ZACC definitely thinks you are.
2) Artists and performers must have had at least one potential opportunity to perform or show their work cancelled due to COVID-19.
3) Artists/performers must be Missoula based.
WONDERING WHY WE'RE DOING IT THIS WAY?
1) We want to support our community of artists and performers in the fairest way possible and since we have limited funds, we feel that a first-come first-serve policy would leave too many people out.
2) We want to provide financial support, but also give artists and performers exposure for their great work.
3) We want to give back to all of the artists and performers who have been part of the ZACC since we were founded. We know not every Missoula-based artist has had a connection with the ZACC, but we estimate the number who have had nothing to do with us is pretty low! We've been lucky to be part of so many amazing artistic journeys over the years.
RELIEF FUND FAQs
Do I need to re-enter my name for the drawing each week?
• Thank goodness, no! Once your name makes it to the nomination list, your name remains in the drawing until your name is drawn, or the relief fund runs out, whichever occurs first.
If I’ve won a relief award, can I apply again?
• To help us provide the most relief to as many people as possible, artists are only eligible for one (1) award.